
Likewise, any one of the following topics in my writing territory could be expanded. This is a list I could work on for a solid year and still have stuff left over to write about.
- Madeline -- what she is teaching me; the evolution of our relationship; how she shaped me into who I am today; watching her grow and change
- farming and gardening -- how it speaks to my imagination, but how I fail at it so spectacularly; the dozens of lessons I find in the dirt and in growing things and in dying things; the drought
- Hank -- the nicest dog I've ever known; his sweetness, his anxiety; his extreme handsomeness; his eagerness to please; his funny personality; his destructiveness
- California -- my home state; the drought; the fires, the freeways, the crowds; beaches and parks; its beauty and its trouble
- teaching -- writing with students, reading what students write; reading with students; talking about ideas; talking with students; getting to know teenagers; listening to teenagers
- technology -- its place in our lives; the way it is shaping our social interactions and our thought processes; the inevitability of technological change; how unprepared we are for these changes; how deeply asleep we are
- memoir stuff -- scenes from Spain and Morocco; growing up with the DoD; losses; alcoholism; heat; isolation; independence and beauty and adventure
- my sister, who is now 70, and living in another state
- aging -- experiencing first-hand the changes that age brings; marveling at my body; living inside a youth-oriented culture with an aging body; feeling lucky and feeling cursed at the same time
- what I notice when I walk my dog around the neighborhood; what I imagine
- what I am reading right now; books that have stayed with me; stories and characters that have just skimmed the surface of me, the forgotten ones, and the others that have sunk deep roots
- my book club friends; how reading with people shapes your understanding of people
- learning to think about food and cooking differently when in my 40s; developing a new palate in midlife
- letters I would love to write to people I admire
For example, let's say I want to write about sleep (and I do). Look at all the ways that genre will enable me to explore the topic of sleep. I can...
- write a personal account about sleep
- write an informational article about conditions that are conducive to good sleep
- write an ode to sleep, or an ode to my bed, and ode to my pillow or my secret Dora the Explorer pajamas
- write a children’s story about the sleep fairy
- write a persuasive appeal to students to turn off their electronics by 8:00 pm so they can have two hours of quiet time (read, listen to music, draw) before sleep at 10:00
- write a letter to the Sandman
- write point/counterpoint about sleep and homework
- write an advice column about sleep disorders and how to fix them; “Dear Sleepyhead” or something like that
No comments:
Post a Comment