Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Genly's Awkward Thoughts

Considering Genly Ai's perspective on the Gethenians, so far in the book, he still seems to question their world regarding their attitudes, personalities, and biological being. He struggles to understand the reproduction of the Gethenians and tries to label people's sex based on their masculinity and femininity. But what Genly fails to understand is, the Gethenians have no sexuality and are basically unaware of the terms "man" and "woman". They only become of sex during kemmering, which is the process of reproduction that gives a Gethenian a temporary sexuality, until birth of a child. This process is completely unusual to Genly, simply because he's had one gender his whole life and even after two years of living in the presence of Gethenians, he feels tempted to unconsciously categorize the sexuality of each person based on their actions and conversation when he should see think of everyone has an equal dominant.  According to Genly's thoughts and attitudes on the Gethenian's sexuality, I would say his world from which he comes from, is very Earth-like. Genly relates some characters to woman who act somewhat "smaller" and "inferior", and the others to men who act a bit "superior" but I feel like Genly has to continuously remind himself that there isn't a specific gender he can choose from, Leaving him in an awkward thought.

3 comments:

  1. I thought the same thing about Genly's struggles with gender because it's mentioned frequently when the author talks about Genly's thoughts on people and how he struggles to view them as just people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know... I feel like Genly has the whole gender thing down, and I'm the one left confused. I can't help but feel a gender less society is easier to deal with, even for Genly, and what's harsh is sex. If there where no sex, no kemmer, things would likely be different for Genly, I feel. Sex is a huge reminder for Genly that he's very, very different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. It seems Genly couldn't really let go of assigning genders to the people he talked to, more so in the beginning of the book. He repeatedly labels things he doesn't like about people as feminine and things he approves and admires as masculine. On page 35 he talks about the world like if it was created specifically for men. But as the book goes on it's apparent he is slowly ditching his Earth-like thinking.

    ReplyDelete