Saturday, November 21, 2015

My Feelings on "Trolling"

After reading and commenting on Kayla's post, I thought I'd digress on my feelings on some of the points she brought up.
I don't think trolling happens when people put their personal lives out there. I have never been one to just put my whole life out there and tell the world everything that goes on, and I experienced trolling once. It wasn't a big deal. I wasn't hurt or traumatized (but kind of annoyed). An anonymous account on Instagram had somehow gotten onto my private page and started commenting on a bunch of my photos. They were putting rude remarks and kind of being a smart-ass. After a minute I just blocked the page and deleted the comments. End of the situation.
Of course, like Kayla said, it may not be that easy for others to just ignore and block. I know there are much more serious situations than mine. I do understand that when the harassing is constant or pinpoints something dear to your heart, it's hard to just ignore. Lindy West's personal experience was a perfect example. We are all human. We all have feelings. When somebody has gone down to that level to think that mocking a deceased parent on a fake Facebook page is enjoyable, they really are just that soulless. Of course it is hard to just ignore a situation like that. Also when somebody pinpoints a certain insecurity that kind of breaks you inside and continues harassing you about it, it's hard to "just ignore it."
Now I also wanted to discuss something that was brought up in class when we first started this section on OA. Fletcher had stated that very often, the victim is told to" just ignore it," letting the troll get away with their antics. When I say that ignoring is the best solution, I meant it is if it's the easiest thing to do. Some people make a big deal about one comment made about them from somebody they don't even know or who is irrelevant to their lives. Like Kayla said, it's one person. This one person's opinion about you isn't going to ruin you. If it does become something very constant that spreads over social media, of course something should be done.
I guess what I'm trying to say, in short, that if the situation is small (like a rude comment or smartass remark) and can be resolved by a click of the block or ignore button then that's what should be done. Personally, I'm not one to start problems or want to add to the fire, and I believe that's the easiest thing to do. But it does depend on the level of harassment and how often it happens.

1 comment:

  1. Ignoring trolling is the go-to response when it comes to reactions, but in my perspective, ignoring the problem only pushes it away to come back at another time.

    As individuals, we will not find our personal sanctuary until we come to terms with the chaos and dirt that is the unpredictability of those around us. We cannot guarantee that others will not attack us -- we cannot guarantee our security from attacks online. Offense can always appear whenever there are strongly held opinions or beliefs.

    Though West's experience may prove otherwise, we cannot change trolls. They are strong in numbers, and there is no shortage of them.

    All we have control over is ourselves. We must stand strong and above what mud is flung at us -- that is all we can guarantee. Bolster our own defenses and reaffirm that, as individuals, the words of another cannot and should not shake our foundations.

    The rocks thrown at us don't matter if we're too far above for them to reach.

    ReplyDelete