What IS trolling? Throughout all my time I have spent surfing the web, I have come across many different definitions of trolling. I guess it might partially be because of how silly the word trolling sounds that I never quite took it seriously as a form of harassment. Nonetheless, when I came across examples that Farhad Manjoo and Lindy West wrote about, I began to get a clear sense of what trolling is. They also helped me form an understanding of how it affects people. Taking for instance those that have to encounter trolling everyday as a part of their career. No one should have to put up with the hatred and nasty messages coming from bored people that forget there is an actual human receiving them. There should be an easier way for people to avoid the harassment rather than simply blocking and reporting. In addition to this, people shouldn’t have to suffer victim blaming when attempting to open up about their problems regarding trolling issues detaining them from doing their work. These people are usually advised to take a break from the internet, but…. how can they? The internet has become a necessary element in today's way of keeping the world going. Rather than encouraging people facing harassment to ignore a certain website or even the internet as a whole, the troll should be the one being educated over the subject and being shamed from doing what they do best. However, in order for this to be possible, there would have to be a mass censor. Actually, programs should be made for people that find it appropriate-- or even funny to hurt others difficult to do so without ruining it for everyone else enjoying their time online. Because after all, this hatred even reaches the lives of famous celebrities, making it difficult for them to live their life again.
No comments:
Post a Comment