Thursday, November 19, 2015

Trolling Rant

Personally, I don't understand what makes a person want to harass or annoy someone online anonymously.  Just think of that person as your mother.  Would you publically harass your mother and would you let someone else publically harass your mother.  I know I sure wouldn't.  The whole idea of trolling is childish and people really need to just grow up.  Like in the Lindy West situation when a troll used her dead father as a way to harass her.  Although I find her story a little unrealistic because to me it sounds staged, I agree with Lindy West that trolls need to be confronted.  People say "just ignore them, just ignore them," but why should the person being abused have to ignore the abuse?  Sure sticks and stones may break your bones, but words will never hurt you, but the fact of the matter is, words do hurt.  Trolls need to be confronted because people need to realize how much damage they're causing to someone.  It's the same as having a friend spread rumers behind your back.  People say that trolls can't be stopped.  They only say this because they don't want to think of a legit way to stop them.  We need to think of a way to make trolls realize that what they're doing is hurtful even if it is just a joke.  If someone trolled me I wouldn't just stand back a take it.  I would probably make their life a living hell until they finally just give up.  I also think that people need to not be so sensitive to what others say.  We have to learn to just let it go.  I know that, that is hard for some people, but being upset about something just makes it worse.  If we let it go, they automatically lose.  We are all smart enough to know that people are just being jerks so we can't give in to everything we hear.  We can't let trolls control our thoughts, our emotions, or the way we live our lives.  We can't let them win.  This may sound harsh but to me trolls are simply low lives with nothing better to do than mess with other people because they can't deal with their own lives.  West's article suggests that we just have to accept that trolls are a part of the online society.  I think she is wrong.  I can accept that some people are jerks and have nothing better to do with their lives.  However, what gives them the right to harass someone else online?  The only reason people attack others online is because of anonymity.  Maybe I'm just ranting, but I honestly feel that trolling should be seen as a public disturbance and taken more seriously.  I may be able to handle it, but we have to think about those people who can't.  They are the ones who need to be protected from online cruelty.  Again, sorry for ranting; I just feel strongly about people who hurt other people.

1 comment:

  1. I can see what you are saying. I think its also necessary to have a mix of letting it go and educating people that what they are saying is wrong. I mean, I guess it is wierd imagining someone else in front of their screen reading your words. Nonetheless, poeple usually writing the hate are old enough to know that what they are doing is wrong and hurtful.

    ReplyDelete