The definition of a troll to me is an attention seeker that hides behind a screen looking for a response from the "audience".The "audience" are the people who would be looking at the trolls comments in need for entertainment purposes. This troll would also get a reaction, usually anger, from whom he has offended. Trolls to me are cyberbullies. A cyberbully is a bully that can be found online by sending or posting offensive, mean, and or hurtful material to an individual. When I think about cyberbullies I instantly think about the movie "Cyberbully", a movie directed by Charles Biname. In the movie "Cyberbully" the protagonist Taylor Hillridge was verbally being torn apart by Lindsay Fordyce. This whole movie got to me, because the protagonist in the movie was ready to commit suicide because of all the hurtful words she was receiving. All my life my father has told me, "Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me", I completely disagree with this quote. I disagree, because words can lead to depression, anxiety and even suicide. Words do hurt and can cause a harmful effect on an individual.
All in all, I want to say to ignore these trolls/cyberbullies, it may not always be easy but you can't let them get to you. They're commenting to provoke a response from you and there are steps that can be taken to prevent someone from bringing you into a state of agitation. You can first block them, this would cause the troll to feel isolated, because they won't have an audience to feed of from. Secondly if its affecting you seek for help from family, friends, and professional help (if needed). In reality trolls are just people who want to feel better about themselves by putting other people down.
I completely agree with everything you have to say! The whole "audience" aspect reminds me of Twitter. I have noticed a lot of the time people tend to enjoy witnessing people argue and usually the person who starts the argument enjoys the attention. This isn't always the case but most of the time it is. Sometimes it can go overboard and all it really leads to is hurt feelings and a good show to the ones reading. Cyberbullies also remind me of that movie. Words are so powerful and can completely destroy someone. Sadly, it isn't always easy to ignore these things so I think the steps you stated in solving this problem are perfectly stated.
ReplyDelete