Sunday, April 3, 2016

Can the Feeders Feed Themselves?

Farmers have a rather ironic situation. They are supposed to be the people who feed the nation yet they can barely feed themselves. Small farmers basically have a rather tiny percentage of seeking a decent profit. In an article I read, at least one in every four farmers are in poverty. That is a very high percentage of poverty rate for an occupation. Additionally, farmers average $7.25 an hour working 42 hours a week. They overwork to keep their farms well, yet they are barely making anything. That's below CA's minimum wage! 

There is obviously something wrong with our society where the people who feed us struggle to feed themselves. The government has potential to end the depressing agricultural problems, yet they rather be seeking profits than what is right. Our economical society would let their people struggle just so our overall economical revenue goes up. This needs to be changed. Farmers shouldn't have to join large corporations and mass produced for them to make profits, that isn't even actual farming anymore. The government should be well-aware of this situation, but large corporations have too much economical power over the farmers. 

There should be people who seek to be farmers like any other job: aspiring doctor, dentist, or even engineer. Farmers are just as important as those jobs. With high poverty rates, low pay, and exceedingly difficult situations, would it really be a surprise if the amount of farmers slowly die out? Our society has to do something about the farmers' situation, furthermore, the government must also need to do something.

3 comments:

  1. I find that this is sad, that the people who feed us are barely making ends meet, and that many people of the population don't know this (used to be me). I do agree with that the government has the potential to fix this situation and that the government can't do much because of the food industry influence with their money. Whats going to happen to the amount of farmers? Will the farmer population die out causing a crisis forcing the US to import food from other countries, make out food more expensive, or will the US have to import immigrant workers to do the work for us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This topic was never really something I truly went into deep thought about but had definitely came across my mind. I agree with you that the treatment of farmers is unfair. The work they do leads to what we eventually consume and the profits some companies are making. According to what you stated, the pay these farmers receive is ridiculous. I guess some may see farmers work as easy but I not everyone knows everything they have to accomplish in order to be successful. The government is more selfish than selfless in situations like these and that is something that needs to change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, Hayden. We as a society focused too much on profits and money to the point where we hurt several people in the process. If I am seeing this correctly, your post mainly called on the government to do something, but I think the problem lies a lot deeper than that. We have become too reliance upon the food industry and it show. More and more farmers are being absorbed and forced to work for the big industries in order to keep their job.

    I think the best solution to this is for the people to change themselves, rather than waiting for the government to do something. We, as the consumers, are a lot more powerful than we think. The companies will sell whatever people want to buy. Right now, people are demanding fast, cheap, industrial food, so the companies will sell that while the government subsidizes them. What we need to do is start demanding farmer's food, and everything else will follow. People often think that just one person actively doing something will not change anything because it is just a small scale. However, if a few thousands of people decide to change themselves gradually, the markets and the government will soon follow.

    ReplyDelete