"How has your mindset changed about our country? About what you eat? About your consciousness?"
My mind did not change much about this country, but what does change is my mind on is the government's role in the food industry. After a few research on this topics, I learnt that most of the government are currently helping the food industry in keeping horrible practices such as abusing the workers and harming the foods. At first, I was kind of expecting this in small scale since nothing can be absolutely perfect, but after seeing the scale of the government's action, my mind changed. I am not exactly angry at the government's action, but rather disappointed. The government was supposed to be the entity that supposes to help the people and act in people's best interest. That was the point of democracy system that we have here. But what we have now is government acting in a few people's interest while screwing over the general populace. Personally, I think we should have a major reform in the food department in government so that they can help people eating healthier rather than trying to save as much money as possible for the big companies.
My mind changed quite a bit about what I eat. Thanks to the Food Inc. movie that we saw, I will always get paranoid that every food I bought is either: filled with horrible disease, produced by slave labor, or a little bit of both. In all seriousness, I start to regret more about foods that I used to eat since I ate a lot of junk foods in the past. I also like to think about how I can help improve the food process that we have right now. Sure, I did not do anything about it (yet), but it is something fun to think about. I will probably do something about it in the future. (In hindsight, this is the type of thinking that got us here in the first place. -___-)
My consciousness does change and it affecting my behavior a little bit. Although I still buy and eat the same type of foods, I noticed my actions started to change. I now pay attention to the details of my food, such as the ingredients in the foods that I consumed, where it came from, and the labels that come with the food. I started to notice some of the pattern in the food that I consumed. For example, a lot of the food share the same ingredient and producers.
It's going to be hard to simply change what you you eat over night, but it's the little decisions you make everyday that can slowly change your eating habits. Maybe instead of reaching for the prepackaged foods or frozen dinners you reach for a fruit or even a vegetable that is labeled as being organic since most organic foods are labeled as opposed to GMOs.
ReplyDeleteIt's sad to think about all the abuse the workers have received and all the chemicals that are put into our foods, yet the government has barely done anything to prevent it. Just like you, I have gotten slightly better with my food choices. Though I still eat junk like Hot Cheetos and burgers, I now pay closer attention to the labels that are on the back and I try not to eat as much of those kinds of foods anymore.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on how your point of view of the government has changed because just like you I was surprised on how the government isn't doing as much as I thought they did. They should to try and protect everyone instead of protecting the industries and how the food agencies aren't doing their best job. The way we eat has to definitely change and I'm aware of what I eat but I don't think I'll be able to change my habits yet. All the things we have learned has got into our brains and now every time I eat or one of my friends are with me we begin talking about GMO's and all the other food industry things we've learned in this unit.
ReplyDeleteIt's very disappointing to find out that our government is not on our side about food. I grew up to believe that they are fighting for what's best for us but seeing that they're siding with food corporations changes my perspective on that completely. I'm still shocked that our government will let these chemicals in our foods to help food companies keep their money. Also, I pay more attention to the foods I consume yet if I know it's bad for me, I eat it anyways. I try to stop myself but it's very difficult to since we grew up eating junk food.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. I think America is too money-hungry. We'd do anything to get our economy going, so for a society that is ran by money $$$ I'm not too surprised what is happening. It is wrong and immoral how we are basically saving money over the beneficial health of our people. Bother workers and consumers are being punished by the government. Workers are basically being in an abused environment and consumers are eating inorganic and unnatural foods. The capitalistic nation needs to take a step back and approach foods in a different way before what we eat becomes our biggest fear.
ReplyDeleteI do agree that the government is at fault here, but I have noticed lately that it's also the consumers fault that organic foods aren't demanded as much. Most of the time I go to the grocery store I would see people going away from the organic products because it is more expensive. What consumers demand for is what is usually brought into the stores. I wish it was required in the past to learn about all these food problems that happened and are still happening but only getting worse. I asked my mom recently why she usually doesn't buy organic food and she said beside it being more expensive she didn't know how healthier it really was because she didn't have any knowledge about it. However, I'm hopeful in our generation and future generations that do have knowledge about this to make better decisions and hopefully show the government that change is needed.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, that the government has some of the fault in this matter of how that they should be the ones regulating the food industry, but are instead helping the food industry with their practices and what not, but I also believe that its also the fault of the consumer. In the year 2015, I'm pretty sure that many people have seen the movie Food Inc. or at least know something about the controversial things in the food industry, but we still buy the foods. It's mostly our choice to pick the foods and most people pick the cheap ones. Even though organic foods may cost more, it might be because of how little is produce. If there was more demand for the product maybe the organic foods will be cheaper.
ReplyDelete