Monday, October 19, 2015

Senior Year Changes

Last year my three best friends graduated and left for college.  I went from seeing them every day since freshmen year in French to not seeing them at all.  It was a big change because I knew I could count on them for anything at anytime.  I wish I would've cherished the time we had together more because they really made an impact on my life.  I'm not close with very many people, but they were like sisters to me.  At first it was hard not having them to lean on, but I slowly began getting closer with the girls from the volleyball team.  I now have a new group of friends that I've known, but haven't really talked to outside of volleyball.  It was hard opening up to new people because I'm that quiet, insecure shy girl who has trouble opening up to people that I haven't known for very long.  Then I have to deal with the nightmare of college applications.  Everyday I get asked a million times if I'm applying to colleges and if I'm writing notes to coaches.  It just frustrates me because I'm doing everything I'm supposed to be doing and I don't need to constantly be reminded of what I need to do.  By this time next year I'm not going to have my mom hovering over my shoulder telling me what to do.  I just want her to trust that I'm taking all the steps I need to be taking for the future.  Personally, I don't like when people treat me like a child.  I know that in my mom's eyes I'll always be her little grow, but she has to let me spread my wings and fly or fall on my own.  The main reason I miss my friends is because I know that they would be there to remind me that my mom is just trying to make sure I have a better life than her.  They became a crutch that I could always lean on, but my crutch was taken away from me.  I think not having them around will help me grow more as a person because I'm learning to be more social and more outgoing.  I go to all the football games now and I talk to more people than I've talked to since I've been at Mayfair.  My friends have helped me become the person that I am today.  I think the person I am now is a better person than who I was during the previous years.  We still talk to each other all the time, we only lack physical contact.  However, based on the way things are going so far, senior year will definitely be my most memorable year for many reasons.  Now I don't just have a couple people that I actually talk to and a few others I say hi to as I walk down the hallways.  I have a whole team of girls that I know I can count on to help me through the difficulties that senior year has in store.  They will never replace my other friends, but they have taught me to cherish my last year as a monsoon.  I've noticed that since I began letting more people in, I've been happier than I have been in a long time.  My newfound friends have taught me to relax and not take high school so seriously because it goes by in a heartbeat and things will never be the same after graduation.  I'm can honsetly say that seeing my friends every day will be the highlight of my senior year.

No comments:

Post a Comment