Thursday, December 10, 2015

Anonymity or None? Censorship or Freedom? What Do We Do?

     After reading all the articles about the good and bad about anonymity and the ways to protect our society from online trolls, I am still at the same conclusion as I was before. I honestly don't know what we should do. Some blame anonymity for online trolls because they don't have a name attached to the mean comment, while others think that it is because of the way the "trolls" behavior. I've seen on the other side that anonymity can do people good when used the right way. So how do we deal with the anonymity problem? In my honest opinion I think that anonymity is a good thing. I think that it can help others when they need help or want to ask something or say something without being judged by peers. People just honestly use anonymity for gratuitous purposes to hurt others.
     Another thing that I've read is the whole dealing with online trolls. Some think that adding a type of censorship is a good idea while others think that freedom of speech (which we have here in America, our 1st amendment) is the best way to go. Censorship is never the answer. It limits people's speech and that's not the way we should approach it. People need to know that their answer to things is resolved by taking away people's right to talk. These trolls are abusing some power but their is a reason why they do these tings. They are either doing it for attention, are angry, or jealous and those aren't reasons to attack others online. I just can't wrap my head around these online bullies. 
    This section "Online and Anonymous" has opened my eyes to online trolling and has made me think of ways and possibilities we could handle a problem like this. The internet is growing and is becoming more and more popular as time goes by. These online trolls are going to keep attempting to hurt others and there are so many ideas on how to stop them. We could make things not anonymous but then that would take away our right to be anonymous. We could start censoring what people say but that would be taking our right to free speech. The main thing I have realized is that anonymity is a helpful tool and that I think some people are wrong. Anonymity doesn't invite harassment, it's the people behind the computer screen that do that. People misuse anonymity. I'm curious over these past few weeks that we've been reading these articles, what have you guys saw or learned or thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment