I believe that Whitney Philips (out of all the articles) has
the best grasp on the definition of trolling that I seem to agree with. There
is no exact standard to what trolling is. It can be literally be a small prank
or cyber bullying. Not all trolling is considered bad, and society seems to put
too much of a restriction on what trolling truly is. Trolling can be humorous
for everybody. Being a victim of a troll can sometimes be hilarious because not
all trolls’ intentions are to put you down. People say that someone is trolling
for things as simple as not answering what someone wants to hear. It’s beyond
common now to hear that someone is a troll. Trolling isn’t only the disgusting
and mean ones on the internet who seek to ruin your day. Friends can also be
trolls if they just do something sarcastically.
Additionally I don’t think trolls can be avoided completely.
As soon as you go on the internet, there is a huge chance you can run into a
troll. The best thing anyone can do is not take their insults and trolling to
heart; however, not everyone can do this. Overall, the safest way is just to
stay off the internet or at least go on sites that are monitored; however,
going to a site that is not monitored is at your own risk. I personally believe
that trolling is an epidemic and it slowly spreads. It won’t stop anytime soon,
and I personally think trolling will continue to grow. It is up to people to
use their actions and thoughts to make this not affect them as much.
Do you guys think there is a way to actually stop trolling?
Also what exactly are your definitions of “trolling”?
Well, going by your definition, there's really no way to stop innocuous trolling, but to end the vicious and seemingly ubiquitous trolling, I simply believe we should better raise our children and encourage proper behavior. It's not always just the problem of "trolls" if go so far as extreme cyber bullying. Then it becomes a matter of harassment. To shoo them off, ignore them. But the only way to really put an end to cycles of cyber harassment is to better our people.
ReplyDelete