Thursday, December 10, 2015

Long Live Anonymous

           Being my last blog post of 2015, I can definitely say that I have learned a lot from the Online & Anonymous ERWC section.  Blogging, studying the articles,  and reading everyone else's thoughts on anonymity online has helped me see the overall spectrum of how anonymity is both great and sometimes.. not so great.  As I have been observing most people saying that anonymity is necessary, I can't help but agree.  After trying to think of a structured solution for the cons of anonymity, I stuck with the fact that trolls are always going to be here, there is practically no point in trying to "remove" them.  However, this doesn't mean that Internet users shouldn't be educated on the effects of online abuse and harassment.  While online, trolls don't seem to get the sense of another human on the other end of what they spew.  People like Lindy West that are victims of online trolling while trying to do their job and express their opinion have no reason to have to regularly endure what they are becoming used to.  It troubles me to not have a solution, but like in most situations, there are always people that inflict nuisance.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with all your points and I want to also say that your experience describes how I felt as I was reading people's papers. I felt that because of this unit, my eyes opened up to the positive side of anonymity. I also think that there should be consequences for those who abuse the anonymity power like a banishment from the website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. It's upsetting that the kind of trolling Lindy West goes through is even real. The power people seem to believe they have because there is a computer or phone screen between them is unbelievable and also the fact that anyone of us has the capability to become one is crazy. There are so many differebt things that play a factor into trolling, not only anonymity, and because there are so many it makes it hard for us to figure out an effective solution to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? People go on a power trip knowing no one is there to stop them and give them a consequence for their nasty behavior. If I had to expirience trolling I don't know if I would have been able to talk my harasser as Lindy West did so graciously. I would just be outright disgusted.

      Delete