For my paper I honestly wanted to do nothing about GMOs or pesticides, since I have APES and we've done a chapter on it already, so I don't really want to do more on it. So I looked at other topics, and at some point I found an article that I had actually read before about students blaming Michelle Obama for their school lunches. Most of the article was how students were using #thanksmichelleobama and posting pictures of their gross food. But is it really her fault?
So we all pretty much know how Michelle Obama is on a health craze for everyone in America, especially kids. But has her plan really worked? This then led me think about my research question that has evolved to along the lines of “How has Michelle Obama’s food and health plan effected our accessibility to healthy food and the way we eat?” As I was looking for articles to help me answer, I actually I learned a lot about what the First Lady’s plan and what the ultimate goal of it is. Many of the articles also mentioned how the eating habits of people have been getting better, but there hasn’t really been a significant change in the obesity rate of the country. These articles also mentioned how it’s difficult for schools to change their food, mostly because it’s too expensive to afford healthy food that kids will actually like.
I have also had a strong curiosity about Michelle Obama's plan for healthy lunches! As I was progressing in doing some research on my paper, some articles had lead me to this topic as well. The issue of increasing obesity has been continuing to grow and in my opinion, her plan is the first step to an actual change. Children shouldn't be so exposed to unhealthy foods because half the time, they are perceived into thinking these meals are actually good for them.
ReplyDeleteThis is an interesting topic and one that I'm looking forward to reading. I get that changing school food is difficult and not as easy as it seems because of all the other factors involved (like politics and money), but I have not seen any other changes in our food other than banning clubs day. Our school's breakfast, snack, and lunch are still pretty unhealthy and high in calories,sugar, and fat; the only thing other than that, that is healthy, are the salads and fruit. We are left with no other options but to eat whatever is given because we're hungry and well sometimes the food is good (but still bad!) I do, however, think changing how we eat comes from home and our own responsibility towards our health, which i see is shifting towards a healthier side recently.
ReplyDelete